Yesterday, the US dollar strengthened against a basket of currency majors. The dollar index (#DX) reached new monthly highs and closed in the positive zone (+0.45%). The US currency was supported by positive data on inflation in the US, as well as the optimism of financial market participants regarding the conclusion of a trade agreement between Washington and Beijing. The euro is still under pressure amid weak statistics. Thus, the volume of industrial production decreased by 0.9% in December instead of 0.4%.
The British pound weakened again relative to the US dollar after the publication of weak economic data from the UK. The consumer price index counted to 1.8% in January, while experts forecasted 1.9%. The Japanese yen is also declining against the US currency. Today, during the Asian trading session, a preliminary report on Japan’s GDP has been published, the figure has risen by 0.3%, while investors expected growth by 0.4%. Meanwhile, positive data were published in China. The country’s exports increased by 9.1% in January instead of the expected decline by -3.2%. Imports fell by 1.5% instead of 10%.
The “black gold” prices are strengthening. At the moment, futures for the WTI crude oil are testing the mark of $54.55 per barrel.
- Yesterday, the bullish sentiment was observed in the US stock market: #SPY (+0.32%), #DIA (+0.50%), #QQQ (+0.07%).
- The 10-year US government bonds yield has increased. Currently, the figure is at the level of 2.69-2.70%.
The news feed on 14.02.2019:
- Eurozone GDP data at 12:00 (GMT+2:00);
- Report on the US retail sales at 15:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Producer price index in the US at 15:30 (GMT+2:00).