Yesterday, the greenback slightly strengthened against a basket of world currencies. Currently, the US dollar index (#DX) is consolidating near monthly highs. At the same time, the demand for currencies of the “safe haven” is growing, in particular for the Japanese yen. Japan’s currency strengthens after White House advisor, Peter Navarro, says that fast progress in the US-China trade negotiations is unlikely, as the US demands too much structural change from China.
The British pound has become stable after decrease the day before. The British Parliament announced the “suspension” of work in mid-September – from September 9 to 14. This pause in the work of the Parliament is caused by the fact that these days Queen Elizabeth II will give a speech for the deputies. Also at this time, parliamentarians will be able to discuss a deal with the EU before Brexit, which is scheduled for October 31.
The “black gold” prices have moved away from local highs. At the moment, futures for the WTI crude oil are testing the $56.15 mark per barrel.
- Yesterday, the bullish sentiment was observed in the US stock markets: #SPY (+0.70%), #DIA (+1.00%), #QQQ (+0.36%).
- The 10-year US government bonds yield has moved away from local lows. At the moment, the indicator is at the level of 1.50-1.51%.
The News Feed on 2019.08.29:
- German unemployment change at 10:55 (GMT+3:00);
- US GDP data at 15:30 (GMT+3:00);
- Pending home sales index in the US at 17:00 (GMT+3:00).