During yesterday’s trading session, the US dollar strengthened slightly against a basket of major currencies. The dollar index (#DX) closed in the green zone (+0.19%). The euro has not changed against the US dollar after the ECB meeting. Thus, the European Central Bank began a broad revision of its policy and kept the key interest rate unchanged at 0.00%.
Investors continue to monitor the coronavirus from China. Thus, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that so far, the virus was a local crisis, and had not assigned it the status of a global emergency. For now, 25 fatal cases and more than 800 cases of infection have been recorded
Queen of the United Kingdom Elizabeth II signed a bill on the country’s exit from the European Union (EU), which was prepared by Prime Minister Boris Johnson. Now the document has received the status of law and gained legal force. At the next stage, the deal should be ratified by the European Parliament, which is scheduled for January 29.
The “black gold” prices are rising after fall the day before. Currently, futures for the WTI crude oil are testing the $55.65 mark per barrel. At 20:00 (GMT+2:00), U.S. Baker Hughes Total Rig Count will be published.
- Yesterday, there was a variety of trends in the US stock market: #SPY (+0.11%), #DIA (-0.09%), #QQQ (+0.32%).
- The 10-year US government bonds yield has not changed. At the moment, the indicator is at the level of 1.74-1.75%.
The Economic News Feed for 24.01.2020:
- German manufacturing PMI at 10:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Manufacturing PMI and Services PMI in the UK at 11:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Composite PMI in the UK at 11:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Core retail sales in Canada at 15:30 (GMT+2:00).